Living in Barcelona

Top tips for living in the Catalan capital

Living and studying in Barcelona is a more complete experience than just coming on holiday for a few days in the summer. The city will be your home for years while you study for your degree so it’s important to make the most of what it has to offer. That means finding the right student accommodation in Barcelona, learning new customs and adapting to a different culture. Here you’ll find some advice to help you feel at home and start enjoying the city from the minute you arrive.

Your student accommodation in Barcelona

One of the first decisions you’ll have to make is where to live. The three best options, based on the experience of other students in previous years, are as follows:

Living on-campus

More info

Other student accommodation in the city

More info

Renting a shared apartment or room

More info

Living On-Campus

Sarria Residence (Barcelona)

The Sarria Residence Residence is close to the ESADE Pedralbes Campus. This new building has been custom built as a student residence. It offers study and work areas and an IT room with computers. There are gardens to relax, a pool and an attic sun lounge. The residence also offers access to the  Can Carelleu (situat al davant de la residència). sports centre, located opposite. A Bus service connects the residence with the ESADE Sant Cugat campus and ESADECEAPOLIS.    

ESADE has an agreement with the residence with the option of a full-board accommodation grant of 50%.

Roberto de Nobili residence (Sant Cugat)

The Roberto di Nobili Residence is located on ESADE’s Sant Cugat campus, with excellent links to the centre of Barcelona. It combines leafy surroundings yet is just 30 minutes away from the bright lights of the city. As well as 180 comfortable individual rooms, the residence offers additional services to make university life easier, including study halls, cleaning services, laundry and 24-hour domestic service.

ESADE has an agreement with the residence with the option of a full-board accommodation grant of 50%.

Other student accommodation in the city

Barcelona offers a wide range of halls of residence and university-owned accommodation located in different parts of the city. Find out more!

Renting a shared apartment or room

Seize the opportunity to strike out on your own. Renting a flat or a room will give you the freedom to enjoy one of the world’s most interesting cities. This is an opportunity to explore new possibilities and meet challenges that will help you grow through experience. 

Useful web sites: Barcelona Allotjament | Sant Jordi Pisos | Habitat Jove | |

Other links of interest: Habitatge Jove | Altiro 2000 | Barcelona Centro Universitario | BCN-Nest | Ficasso | Live Further | Oh Barcelona | Resa Housing Service | Sh Barcelona

Useful information for daily life

  • Weather

    Barcelona has a pleasant Mediterranean climate. For reliable information and forecasts, visit the Catalan Weather Service (Servei Meteorològic de Catalunya) or follow them on Twitter @btvmeteo.

  • Transport and travel

    In addition to using a car or motor scooter, you can get around Barcelona by public transport by Metro, bus, tram or FGC trains. You can also sign up for Barcelona's Bicing service, which allows you to use city-owned bicycles to get around.

  • Banks

    Banks (bancos) and savings banks (cajas) have different opening hours. Savings banks are open in the morning from Monday to Friday, and on Thursday afternoons (except in the summer). Banks are open in the morning from Monday to Saturday.  

  • Language

    Barcelona is a polyglot city. It has two official languages, Catalan and Spanish that are used side-by-side. Catalan is commonly used in conversations, in shops, on signs and in public notices.  But don’t worry: Barcelona is an open, international city that welcomes everyone, whatever language they speak.

  • Health

    In Spain, the healthcare system is public for residents. If you are a resident of the European Union, you can apply for a health card issued in your home country. Otherwise, you can take out a private health insurance policy.

  • Visas for non-E.U. citizens

    If you come from outside of the European Union, you will need a student visa. The conditions to obtain one may vary, so please contact the Spanish embassy or consulate in your country for advice.